The Dirty Dozen June 27, 2008
I am reading To Buy or Not to Buy Organic by Cindy Burke right now. It is an excellent book. Burke lists 12 items to eat only if they are organic. Here they are:
- Strawberries (This one is the most important)
- Red and Green Bell Peppers
- Cherries (hard to find and $$$)
- Celery (usually about the same price as non-organic)
- Potatoes (I don’t think I have seen organic potatoes, but I don’t really eat them any way so I guess it does not matter!)
I bought organic strawberries for the first time yesterday and they were WONDERFUL. They tasted so sweet and full of flavor. Ryan and I sat down and ate the whole carten so they are on my list again. AND….they were the same price as the regular strawberries at Target.
The book also lists 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic. Look for that information tomorrow. They are called The Clean Fifteen in the book.